Tribute to a Cover: The Sweet Clementines and Stevie Wonder

Tonight's (November 2) Tributon at Market Market Cafe in Rosendale is devoted to Stevie Wonder, so there should be quite a crowd in that wonderfully cramped space. One of those "arrive early, remain pinned in place, relax and enjoy, leave late, remember for a long time after" sort of nights, as the music talent in Ulster County is exceedingly good and the Tributon has yet to disappoint. First, the idea of the tribute/cover band night is great and having so many local professional musicians and composers (and some really great, chop-laden amateurs) wrestle with the idea of covering songs--"should I copy the recording or should I try to sound like me; how much of me is left, or needed, when I cover a Stevie Wonder song that is always going to sound like Stevie Wonder"--has resulted in some moments of breathtaking beauty. This video is one of them.


I Believe (If I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever)



My good friend John Burdick and his band, The Sweet Clementines, are as good as it gets in (sm)art pop music (their term), and there are songs of theirs that I turn to very frequently. They are also a very fun act to watch live, which makes it a bit disappointing to learn that they will not be at tonight's Tributon. (I might be.)


Taking one of Stevie Wonder's loveliest minor scale tunes and a yearning lyric by Michael McDonald, they have produced a video of what might have been one of the memorable renditions of the night: "I Believe (When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever)." Simply lovely.


No comments:

Post a Comment